Tuesday, June 6, 2017

A Super Easy Father's Day Gift Idea



I am friends with Tiffzippy on Instagram and Twitter and I knew she has a laser cutting business, so I asked her if doing a profile silhouette was something she could make for me. She said yes, and I am so happy with the way it came out! I highly recommend contacting Tiffany if this project is something you'd like to do! Read more for steps on how to make your own framed silhouette.



Materials:



Birch wood laser cutout of child's profile from Tiffany (which is 8 inches tall and .25 inches thick)

I took about 100 photos of my kid in order to get one where I captured his face in a true profile and emailed it to Tiffany. She did the rest and shipped it to me.

Back acrylic paint (or any color you like)
Paint brush
12x12 white card stock (or any color you like)
12x12 picture frame or shadow box (if you get a frame, make sure there is a little space allowance between the glass front and the back closure since the silhouette cutout is thicker than a photo. My frame had a matboard inside so I knew it would fit). This frame is from Target.
Double sided craft adhesive

Steps:
Once I had all my materials, I painted my silhouette cutout with the black acrylic paint and let dry (though it would look pretty cool in other colors too!). I ended up applying two coats.


The cutout was burnt black by the laser as it was being cut all along the outside, so I didn't have to paint along the perimeter. But if you do have to paint yours, I recommend using a tiny paint brush to get inside all the little spaces and angles. Try not to let it get too goopy or the sharp details might get lost.

Remove the matboard from the frame (unless your silhouette is small enough to fit inside)
Make sure the card stock is trimmed so it will fit nicely inside the frame
Apply the adhesive to the back of your silhouette cutout and place it centered on the white card stock.
Place this inside the frame, and voila!

2 comments

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! It came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall