Wednesday, May 31, 2017

When weekdays become my favorite instead of the weekend. Wait, what?



I'd say, about 2 months ago, a switch happened in Lachlan. A switch that makes me actually dread the weekends when Brian is home. I never thought those words would come out of my mouth!

I used to look at weekends as taking a little break from "momming" and doing my own thing, going somewhere for an hour without a kid in tow. Letting Brian take on the brunt of caring for the kid while we're home. Getting to relax and have some quiet time.

Until for whatever reason, Lachlan will ONLY whine and cry when Brian is AROUND. Like, the instant he comes home from work, it's "eeEeeeeeEEEEE dadadadadada waaaaaahhhh" and he won't stop until Brian picks him up. Okay, so at least that's something he can do to make him stop. And because of this, Lachlan learned how to sprinkle salt or cheese into our dinner while he's cooking, so well I guess that's a cool skill to have. Of course I've tried to entertain Lach and keep him busy while Brian cooks, but he won't fall for such pathetic attempts at distraction. He wants his Dad to hold him and that's final.

But, once he's up there being held, at least this last weekend, he got stuck in this mode of wanting to see the dust buster and coffee grinder, the two things that are really loud in our house and scare him, yet he's still morbidly curious about them. He would point and whine at the corner and it took us forever to guess what the heck he was even referring to on the counter since 1) he's never been up there and 2) nothing special happens up there anyway. He just all the sudden wanted to learn all about the grinder. I like to think I'm really good at charades but I'm not that good!

So he wants Brian to take out the coffee grinder and run it. 3 of the 4 days Brian was off of work, Lachlan would look and point and whine at the spot on the counter where the coffee grinder was. We had to hide it away in the cabinet as he still was trying to see it. Eventually, after so long of it being out of sight, he let it be. But I'm afraid I'm going to set him off on another 3 day bender if I need to dust bust or if he sees Brian grinding coffee. It's crazy to feel like I'm walking on eggshells around such a little person, but man when he's mad, he's persistent and scary! I will do whatever it takes to appease the little lord.

At one point, when Lachlan was being good and playing with toys on the floor before bedtime, I looked over at Brian and quietly mouthed, "I ' M S C A R E D O F H I M" and we both started cracking up! Then I got drunk after bedtime.

So Tuesday comes around, and I'm usually bummed that the weekend is over, but then in the back of my mind, I remember that Lachlan will be an angel for me all day, he will be his usual pleasant self...until Brian comes home. So we go through the day doing our thing and our routine and he's totally happy and fine. I'll text Brian, "he's an angel now that you're gone" and just like that, I enjoy our weekdays better than our weekends.

At least for now until a new quirk appears!

2 comments

  1. This is just a phase. I have no kids and don't know these things, but it MUST BE A PHASE :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i sure hope so! it's so draining for all of us.

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall