Monday, November 18, 2013

Happy Holidays. Enjoy your layoff.

We received some devastating news last week and I've been waiting to know more before I share it but everything is still up in the air. My husband's work facility is being shut down and he, among 900 other employees in the same facility, are being laid off in January. We are most likely going to have to sell our house, that we just bought and moved into not even 6 months ago, and move to a totally different state, wherever he can find work. There's a chance we could be going to Denver since the company he worked for has a facility there, but who's to say that won't shut down in a year and we have to do this all over again. So we are trying to find something on the east coast: Maryland, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts. Anywhere that doesn't require a plane ride to see our folks. But again, if Denver is all we have to go on, so be it. We have until January to decide. Not enough time.

There's a small chance of him finding something local but it's a very small chance and we aren't counting on it. We JUST moved back to the east coast and now there's a chance we have to leave again?! We are completely uspet over this. My forehead muscles hurt so bad from crying the night he broke the news. I didn't even know that could happen. We are trying to start a family and now I don't know what to do if we should totally stop trying and wait until things settle down. But I'm tired of living my life at someone else's mercy. I can't believe how easy it is to lose a job these days. The days of the past where people work at a company for 40 years are OVER. The days when jobs were secure and you didn't have to worry every waking moment about it being ripped out from under you are OVER. No one is safe anywhere and life as you know it can change in a heartbeat. You better have a plan B, and C, and D.

I'm scared to death of living life by the seat of my pants. I am a planner, a controller, I want to have control of my destiny. I want to know all the options available to me and unless I'm a psychic, I can't make those decisions as thoughtfully as I'd like to. Obviously we wouldn't have bought a damn house had we known this would happen. All I want to do is settle down and start a family but it looks like that won't be happening for us at this point in time and I'm NOT okay with that.

When life gives you lemons, right? Yea, well fuck the lemons.

23 comments

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that. Start a family anyways! Screw everything else. I know that sounds crazy but my hubby and I have always made things work like that. We've moved 5 times in the last couple years. It will work out. Somehow it always does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I tried to reply but I think it ate my comment, sorry if you get two) This made me soooo sad to read :( It makes me just feel awful and I wish I could give you a huge hug. You're absolutely right about the lack of job stability and I think there are tons of people who feel this way and are going through something similar. I'm too scared to ever even consider buying a house because jobs are so ephemeral. I wish there was something I could do to help. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Alicia, I just sat in front of my pc reading this and went 'OH NO!' out loud! I am SO sorry for you guys. We went through something similar a couple of years ago, as did our friends, and it's not easy, for sure. I really hope your husband finds a new job soon, anywhere! Hang in there!
    xo,
    wink

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is terrible news and I'm so sorry to hear it. Even though chances look few and far between, you never know - things have an odd way of working out, even when they don't seem like it <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these are terrible news. I am so sorry to hear that news. I will pray that something good come out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just terrible news; I'm so sorry to hear it. I feel like the next few months will probably be a crazy amount of hardship for you and your husband, but if you come through it strong I thing you'll see that you can get through anything. And strong doesn't mean "don't break down!" By all means break down sometimes, just remember to pick up the pieces afterwards. You can get through this! All the best for your newest ventures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh Alycia, I'm so sorry. What shitty news. You'd think they'd give some warning or something when they're about to completely change 900 people's lives. I'm sorry about the house and about the potential move and the up-in-the-air-ness of your situation. We've been in a similar place waiting for Rob to find jobs and Iiiii haaaatteee iiiiittt. I <3 you and if you need to talk or vent or swear or bitch please feel free to come find me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm so sorry to hear this, alycia. good thought coming your way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this! That's crazy! I don't know if I can do anything, but give me a yell if I can! Even if you just need someone to yell at about the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sooo sorry this has happened to you guys! I can understand what you mean about being a planner. I'm the same way. Will your husband at least get some kind of generous package that will tie you over until he finds something else? Unemployment? Hopefully you won't have to relocate. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh! That is devastating and terrifying and all that bad stuff rolled into one. I am so so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The details of the severance will be talked about tomorrow. Another thing we aren't sure of :/

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds almost exactly like what happened to my husband last year. He was laid off the week after Thanksgiving without any notice whatsoever. We had been planning on trying to have kids in January.

    Luckily unemployment wasn't too horrible for the first 6 months. It got kind of hairy once he was on the federal extension, but it eventually all worked out.

    I'm sending good thoughts your way. I know it doesn't look like it now, but you guys are smart and you will figure it out. It could be that this starts you guys on the way to something better! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sucks. :( May I ask what company your husband works? (you can email if you want to keep it offline). The locations you mention, and the situation, sound eerily similar to what could happen at the company I work for.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really sorry that you are going through this and wish that there was something magical that I could say to take the pain and uncertanity away. I went through something simlar to this in 2008, but came out okay on the other end.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shit. I'm so sorry. I got similar news for myself today, so 'tis the fucking season, I guess.

    GAHHHHH for all of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What's your email? I can't find it :/ sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just wanted to say THAT SUCKS. I hope something works out for you guys and SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh no, I hope he finds something new quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So very sorry to hear this news. There's nothing I can say, no quote, no anecdote, that'll make this ok or make you feel any better so I'll just say, I'm thinking of you & hoping for the best outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh no! I am so sorry this happened :( it's terrifying not knowing what's going to happen, I hope your husband will find something close that will allow you guys to stay where you are. I hope it happens soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hmm. It makes me put the email in to comment. Ah well... here it is.

    nikiwolf at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  23. […] the day would come. Okay, I did, but it felt like it would be an eternity. This all began last November when we heard the news of Brian’s job being relocated, remember? And then we took a trip out […]

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall