Monday, October 7, 2013

Chunky chili crock-pot recipe


I don't always blog about recipes, but when I do, you know it's for one that I'm crazy about. One of my favorite Fall meals is chili and cornbread and being the lazy non-cooker I am, the crock pot rules for this. Plus, coming home from work to a house that smells like you've been cooking all day is awesome .

Ingredients:

1 pound 90% lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 cans (16 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup prepared salsa
1/2 cup shredded cheese (or go nuts, like I did)
1/4 cup diced onions.

Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add beef and onion, cook until beef is browned and onion is tender. Drain fat. Place beef mixture, chili powder, tomatoes, beans and salsa in slow cooker and stir. Cover. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until flavors are blended and chili is bubbly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with cheese and onions. This will make about 4 (1 1/2 cup) servings....or if you're like me, 2 servings. Mmm!

The cornbread is a store bought mix. I baked it in a greased 5 x 10 loaf pan and sliced it into small loaves.

9 comments

  1. This looks good, I myself never cooked chili before. Question, what kind of prepared salsa do you use? Do you buy it canned? I've pinned the recipe, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy. . .I love to make chili in the crock pot, and I'll have to try this recipe! Unfortunately, my toddler daughter is not on board the chili train yet. More for me and the hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I'm making chili this week! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Claudia! You know I can't remember the brand of salsa we got but it was just a regular store brand salsa in a jar. Nothing crazy or too spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yea, more for you! It's so easy and still tastes good as a leftover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I seriously get excited knowing we will be making chili lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummmmm. This looks delish. Now I'm craving chilli.

    xo Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Home-made chili, yes please. <3333 This sounds delish. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Alycia! I wondered about the salsa because we Mexicans can prepare very hot homemade salsas. A salsa in a jar sounds very much lighter :)

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall