Thursday, July 25, 2013

Have you watched The Business of Being Born?

Man I'm so stuck in a blogging rut! I have the urge to want to write up something great and interactive but I have nothing. It's like Silent Bob when he finally gets the chance to say something and he goes "............I got nothing."

I also want to so badly redo the design here too but have no time or desire to play the whole trial and error thing because I'm not a designer and don't know code especially for Wordpress. So I'm just kinda unhappy and uninspired with blogging for the moment.

But as for things going on here, we've been enjoying the house. We STILL have boxes of SHIT lying in a room with the door shut because I can't stomach the thought of going through another box of stuff I have no idea what to do with but don't want to throw away. But it better get done soon because we are having our house warming party over labor day weekend.

The dogs have a new horrible habit of rolling in stinky stuff outside. Yesterday morning before work Mabel came in from the backyard looking all wet and I stupidly assumed it was from rolling in the rain on the grass but it turned out to be some wretched rancid shit of some sort. I gagged at her stench and hosed her down outside. She didn't like that too much. Then I put her in the tub and used shampoo but all day at work I swear I smelled it on me but it was probably just in my nose hairs....or so I kept telling myself.

And on a different note, I've been having babies on the brain lately and my sister told me to watch The Business of Being Born and I couldn't turn away! It was so eye opening about the truth on hospital births and about how misinformed women are on their options. I highly recommend seeing it. It's amazing how much fear is put into women's heads about delivering naturally and how most obstetricians, for whatever reason, push for csections even if the mother is totally able to have the baby normally given the time to do so. That's a fear of mine, is a doctor that doesn't put me in their best interest. They just want to get out of there to go to their golf game or something. I thought when the time came to be a mom, that I'd want to go in and get an epidural right away and proceed to have the baby normally but its pretty much a super high chance that you will have a csection if you get an epidural because it slows things down so they give you pitocin to speed things up, which makes your contractions hurt more so you get more pain meds, and the baby's heart rate drops so you need an emergency csection and its like a domino effect.

And when I really think about it, just about everything that happens to you in the hospital, are things that I don't want to have happen to me. For instance, just being in a hospital puts me on edge. I don't trust doctors at all. I don't want to be constantly monitored. I don't want to be checked numerous times by numerous peoples fingers. I don't want to lie on my back and not be able to move. I don't want to be confined to a bed. I don't want an episiotomy. I don't want to be in a bright busy room. And I don't want to be exposed to tons of people. Just thinking of having NO control over my own body during one of the most life changing experiences makes me sick with anxiety. So a free standing birth center sounds like the something that would be a good fit for me whenever the time comes. I say this now, but to me, the fear of the pain from a natural birth is less than the fear of having no control over my own body, being cut open, and having no one respect my wishes or advocate for me.

And just a disclaimer, that I don't judge anyone who's had a csection at all. It's just not something I want for myself because of my fears. But I understand emergencies arrise so I could very well end up having one anyways. Who knows.

Boy, I didn't intend for this post to be about that, but see what I mean? There's nothing going on right now so I'm totally uninspired so I just watch Netflix in my free time. I don't even have an instagram pic to post.

19 comments

  1. I too, was terrified about the delivery when I was pregnant. The first time I was EVER in a hospital was giving birth! So when I was looking for an OB once I was pregnant I made it my top priority to find a doctor who would suit my needs. I'm normally a pretty shy, introverted person, but in this situation I made it extremely clear what I wanted, and if they couldn't accommodate that, I was out the door. I ended up having an amazing birth experience in a normal hospital. I wasn't hooked up to any machines, I wasn't required to have an IV, and absolutely NO drugs were administered without my permission. I had one nurse through the whole thing and all in all, it was great. So I would say when the time comes for you, REALLY specify what you want, and find a doc who will go with that. They are working for you after all, so kick 'em to the curb if they can't get with the program!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Business of Being Born. Loved it.

    I'm 38-weeks pregnant today, which means I could deliver any time now. I have been in midwifery care through my whole pregnancy and would absolutely not have it any other way (we've actually hired a doula to attend the birth as well - the cards are stacked in my favour for an awesome delivery that I'm feeling pretty confident and empowered about. SUPER nervous still, but I feel that's to be a bit expected . . . this is my first pregnancy). Kayly's right - as long as your care provider (midwife or doctor) goes down the exact route you want, giving you the gift of informed choice and letting YOU run the show while supporting you, you're good to go. Anyone who doesn't? I agree, kick 'em to the curb. Pregnancy, I've learned, absolutely does not involve the care provider any more than that they educate and support you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought The Business of Being Born was quite fascinating- though a bit scary too and definitely made me a bit squeamish if ever I have a child! I'm fascinated by midwifery/doulas/home births so that was wonderful to see and as a historian I found the history of gynecological medicine/birthing to be really interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never watched the Business of Being Born but I know there are some very fair criticisms about it as well - just make sure you check out both sides. People have had nightmare homebirths and nightmare hospital births. The vast majority of my friends who went to the hospital completely informed about their options and possible interventions had wonderful experiences, the few I know who have had homebirths and were completely educated about their options and possible interventions had wonderful experiences too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! i felt exactly the same after seeing this movie! i thought i'd always want an epidural (and who knows when my time comes i might still! i'm not sure that my pain tolerance is very high!) but this movie really opened my eyes about the domino effect that you mention. did you know they have 4 mini episodes too? they are called "more business of being born"...it's like a follow-ups where they interview celebs, midwives, etc. i definitely think i'm a worry wort and couldn't do a home birth. but this movie definitely made me consider a doula and other alternate options.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Additional point: while I am having a midwife (and doula) birth, I'm doing it at the hospital. :) I'm not 100% certain how that works in the USofA (I live in BC Canada, where I'm lucky enough to have the choice of midwife OR doctor as covered in my healthcare - it's GREAT to have that choice).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw "The Business of Being Born" a couple years before I got pregnant, and it was a HUGE eye-opener for me. Even though, at the time, I wasn't planning a pregnancy, I started reading and watching everything I could find on the topic. I got downright passionate about it and whenever the topic came up, I'd start rattling off stats. (Like, I can tell you the two local hospitals in my town average 33% c-sections.) When I got pregnant with Mylo, I first saw midwives AT our hospital and while they were more attentive than the OBGYN at the same office, I could tell their hands were tied by being part of the hospital-system. I saw them for the first 20 weeks of my pregnancy while I interviewed home birth midwives. I found one I ADORED and at 20 weeks I quit going to my OBGYN office and switched to 100% home birth midwife care. My prenatal visits were all 45-60 min long ... she got on the floor and taught me stretching techniques ... we talked about nutrition and my mood ... I was never rushed and I felt GENUINELY CARED FOR, like a family-member. At Mylo's birth, my main midwife was there as well as a second midwife she works with. We ate and laughed and just "hung out" while I labored. It was relaxed and beautiful. She didn't push me, and just encouraged me to listen to my body and do things myself. When I wanted to push, I pushed. And she was the expert-eye watching over things. I delivered Mylo myself in a swimming pool in the middle of our living room, hospital- and drug-free. I can HONESTLY say it was NOT that painful (I've had kidney stones and gallbladder attacks and both were much worse than natural child birth.) I can't imagine how bad pitocin-induced contractions must be. Anyway ... it's certainly not right for everyone or every pregnancy, but it was the best experience of my life. The "high" I felt for days afterward was incredible and I have a hard time even putting it into words. I felt empowered as a woman and so in love with my new baby and everyone around me who'd experienced his birth with us. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also liked the history of midwives and home births! It's like a mix of interesting and scary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From all the research I've been doing, I've heard so many people say that the care from their midwife is nearly incomparable to that of an OB. It makes me feel better about my fears if I am made to feel like a human with a midwife and not just a patient.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's really great that you got to have such a positive hospital experience! It seems like you really have to put up a fight to get what you want though in most other hospitals. That's what I'm scared of. I won't have the energy to fight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yea, I'm totally aware that each side has its negatives. Everyone's delivery is different and emergencies arise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yup! I saw the separate episodes over the last week :) Very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not exactly sure how it works either but from the movie, I got the impression that if a woman gives birth in a hospital birth center, they are still subject to hospital protocols so if you take too long to give birth, they may push an intervention on you. Where a free standing birth center doesn't have those rules. That's what I want. And then if you need to be transferred for whatever reason, you can be sent to a hospital they are familiar with. It sounds like you have a rockstar team on your side!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've had one of each. First was hospital and second was in a freestanding birth center. If I ever decide to have more children, I will most definitely be seeking the same sort of care I got with my midwife. The entire experience was amazing. She encouraged me to educate myself and helped me feel empowered during my pregnancy and delivery. I labored at home with just my husband and her only role was to assist me to get the baby out (at the birth center). It was beautiful and the best experience ever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard so so so many comments about The Business of Being Born, it's great to see yours as well! I'm a Nursing student, and ridiculously passionate about Midwifery, and I am starting my Midwifery degree next year when I complete Nursing, yet I haven't seen this yet!! Dead set I am going to download it right this second and watch it tonight all cosied up in bed :) Thanks for this post!!
    (Also a bit off topic, I am teaching myself how to crochet and your little posts you did about crochet 101 on The Curious Pug were really helpful!! I would love to be good enough to do the crochet along soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I'm so glad you found the tutorials helpful! That would be great if you joined in on a crochet along when you are ready :)

    I'm sure you will find the documentary fascinating. I got my husband to watch it with me for the 2nd time and he thought so too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. [...] Alycia at Habitual Homebody (another blogger, and blog, I am a pretty big fan of) wrote about the documentary The Business of [...]

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall