Monday, May 20, 2013

My irrational fear of silent films

I have a completely irrational fear of silent films from the 1920s. I'm not sure where or when this started, but I do know that if I see one while flipping through the channels, I get a visceral reaction to it. I seriously get a stomach ache. So just for shits and giggles, Brian put on the silent film Nosferatu on Netflix and immediately I was too horrified to look away. From cringing and squealing through the entire movie, I came to the following conclusions as to why these types of movies freak me the hell out (besides the fact that this one is about a creepy Vampire, all silent films make me feel this way)...


-The actors eyes are really dark on their lids and under their eyes because of makeup or shadows from poor lighting, but yet the whites of their eyes really stand out which gives off this incredibly eery feeling.

-Then, with those creepy eyes, they sometimes look at the camera which makes me feel like they are looking right through the tv set knowing I am on the other end. What the fuck!

-Their hair usually looks really coarse, kind of like a wig. And wigs tend to get like that when they are old. And old = dead. Basically hair is dead so it's just another reminder about death which is what I think is going to happen to me if I keep watching.


-The jerky fast movements and light fluctuations make me feel like they are going to jump out of the tv and grab me and drag me into their hellish silent world. Maybe this is because of The Ring where the girl actually does come out of the tv with that same jerky fast motion.

-If they did manage to drag me into their nightmarish world, I would be screaming my head off, only no one would hear me because its a fucking silent film!

-Knowing that all these actors are dead makes me feel like they are ghosts. Even any animals included in these movies as well.


-And this last part makes absolutely no sense even to me. I almost feel like I have gone back through time to another dimension and am actually standing there behind the camera watching the story take place as if it were real....like an invisible voyeur. And I am trapped and am praying that I'll wake up any second because it's all a bad dream, right?

17 comments

  1. As soon as you said "jerky fast motions and light fluctuations," The Ring popped right into my head. That movie (and all the horror movies of it's style) scare me half to death. We still haven't watched The Grudge, even though I know it's probably not that good, because I can't even sit through the previews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand this, I really do. I liked Nosferatu, though. Y'know, except from the fact that the music just DID NOT MATCH UP. Seriously, there was pleasant music in the scary bits, and scary music in the safe bits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone with a whole boatload of random phobias, I can totally get this! Not to mention they're boring to watch because they're silent. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehehe. But The Artist, having been made more recently, doesn't scare you, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never thought about this before, but now I'm getting the creeps just thinking about it! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually haven't watched it. but I imagine it's not as creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeee...just the pictures on here are creepy. This post made me laugh because I'm reading the book, My Year with Eleanor, about a lady that took her quote to heart: Do something that scares you every day. I'd say you got that covered with this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oddly enough, these don't bother me one bit! However, I can NOT hear a certain song (and sadly it's Jen's favorite, so she can't play 'tis!) without telling whoever is playing the song "turn that off right NOW" and if I can't (say, I am in a store) I cover my ears, hum loudly and try not to cry. The main reason? Every single time I hear this song, someone has died nearly right after. So nope. Nu-uh. Won't listen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, this is the most hilariously awesome post ever. Second, my parents put that movie on every year for Halloween and it scared the crap out of me too. I totally get it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. for real! the music was so out of place. totally reminded me of a hell on earth lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh no how sad! it's a bad omen song :( i feel that way about a certain song because i associate it with something terrible that was happening when i heard it on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG this post is cracking me up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Silent films never bothered me too much, I love Nosferatu, until I saw Metropolis on Netflix. It creeped me out so much! I think it was all the jerky movements and the weird lighting. I haven't actually finished it. I always think about how the actors are dead too, and how strange it is to watch them now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'll have to look up metropolis on imdb :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I FEEL YOU! I AM WRITING THIS IN CAPITAL LETTERS BECAUSE MY LECTURER PLAYED A SILENT FILM IN OUR LECTURE AND I STARTED TO HAVE A PANIC ATTACK FOR NO REASON! THEY SCARE THE SHIT OUT OF ME TOO

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall