Tuesday, April 23, 2013

What's on my iPod: 5 Podcasts I Love

A few weeks ago I talked about how I was listening to the Jay and Silent Bob Get Old podcast, and as much as I loved it then, it's become repetitive with their stories now that I'm 50 episodes in. So I tweeted you guys and searched iTunes for some new podcasts to listen to at work and here's what I'm currently loving:
This American Life with Ira Glass

I was told by numerous people to check out this podcast and I am so glad I did. It's SO freaking awesome and is my favorite for many reasons. The stories / interviews are always interesting. (Think of Ron Burgundy saying, "That was compelling and rich"). I love how the audio clips are mixed with cool jazzy sounding background music. It's all around awesome. You can get the latest 3 episodes for free on iTunes and pay $0.99 for archived episodes (which I am willing to bet you most certainly will want), or you can pay $2.99 for the app and listen to all the archived episodes for free (which I ended up doing). You can only listen to one podcast episode at a time on your iPod or android device. If you use your iPad you can get 3 at a time. But I promise you, it's worth it. It's so interesting!

The Adam and Dr. Drew Show

I love this for nostalgic reasons (think Loveline) as well as entertainment purposes. But I especially love Adam's rants for how he says the things that you are thinking but don't have the guts to say. Towards the end of the show they answer listener questions which are always entertaining.

Girl On Guy with Aisha Tyler

I must have been living under a rock because I had no idea who Aisha Tyler was until she mentioned she was on Talk Soup and The View and then I was like, ooooooooooooooh! She was also on Friends but I never watched that show so that's another way I woulda known who she was. But she a comedian and actor. And on her podcast, she interviews mostly guys on her show, hence the title, but there are a few women in there as well. She's really funny and is great at getting people to tell their story because it's just a natural conversation happening. You can tell how much she loves doing her podcast. A few of my favorite episodes are with the Old Spice guy, Isaiah Mustafa, Lisa Kudrow, and Wayne Brady.
The Nerdist with Chris Hardwick

I'm still warming up to this podcast, but it's slowly growing on me but I'm giving it a chance because I love Chris on The Talking Dead. I find the layout of the show to be a bit of a mish mash of conversations with no real direction, and at times is hard to follow, but it can be entertaining if the main topic is of one that interests me. Maybe I've just had bad luck with downloading the good episodes?
Freakonomics

I just started listening to this one and so far it's pretty interesting. I love learning about how things you deal with everyday work (think paying to park, or mailing a letter, things like that) and this is a great podcast for that. If I'm gonna waste my body away in a cubicle at work, at least my brain won't.

15 comments

  1. Aisha Tyler also plays Lana on Archer! :) Thanks for this list, I'm definitely checking these out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh. Looks like a great list to check out! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, I need more podcasts to listen to! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm such a podcast nerd too - I love This American Life! Also, if you like A Prairie Home Companion, definitely get Garrison Keillor's Tales from Lake Wobegon podcasts. You get his monologues and I think it's for free!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i forgot! she's mentioned it before but i never watched that show before. is it worth binge watching on netflix?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i haven't heard of prairie home companion but i will check out both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am definitely going to have to check out This American Life. I need something to listen to at work and this might be the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore This American Life! I haven't heard of the others, so I will definitely have to check them out. If you like TAL, you'd like Radio Lab and The Moth Podcast too! Check them out if you have time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you need more, check out "The Age of Persuasion" or "Under the Influence" both with Terry O'Reilly. I believe both are available on Itunes.
    He talks about advertising, the shows are totally interesting and kinda funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the recommendations! i will check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i will check those podcasts out. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh interesting - I'll have to check out the Nerdist podcast - that sounds good. I have listened to the Freakenomics one too and found it pretty good. I stopped listening to that one and can't remember why, but I did learn a lot when I did listen to it! This is a great idea for a post to, btw. I listen to so many podcasts, but for some reason never talk about them. It's always fun to get ideas of what other people are listening to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh a couple podcasts that you may like are called "Stuff Mom Never Told You" and "Stuff You Should Know". They remind me a bit of the Freakonomics podcast. The "mom" one is a bit more geared towards womanly topics (not mom topics, so I'm not entirely sure why they named it that), but they're both generally pretty interesting - I don't always listen to EVERY episode, but I listen to most of them and learn pretty random things about pretty random topics, which is always fun! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I started listening to the "stuff" podcasts just after I posted this but they are so interesting! i love the mom stuff, history stuff, and freakonomics :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. […] distracting to your task, you will want to keep your iPod LOADED with music and podcasts. Hour long podcasts were a life saver for me. Plus, I discovered Pandora has a stand up comedy station that had me […]

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall