Sunday, March 24, 2013

Around Here: Lot's of stuff happening (good and bad)!

It's been a while since I sat and wrote so that's what I'm going to do! Aren't you excited? Eh, even if you're not, I hope  you'll find this post entertaining at least. There's a few things to be excited about, and a few not so exciting things. Let's start with the unpleasant first.

A few weekends ago Brian was out playing with his roller hockey league when he calls me on the phone. I'm thinking it's him replying to my numerous calls and texts telling him our stove is on the fritz and that it won't turn on without me punching the button reeeeeally hard. So I answer the phone like, "HeyyeathestoveisbrokenandwhatarewegonnadobecauseIcantcookdinner" and he's like "Babes, I got hit in the face with a full speed hockey puck." I screeched "What? Where? How? Who did it and did he apologize?" He got hit above the lip and the puck literally pierced a small hole in his face, kind of like where a monroe piercing would go. I then proceeded to completely loose it because I was imagining his face bloody and broken, maybe a few teeth needing to be replaced or even worse, losing his eyesight. He already has really bad vision and needs the strongest prescription eye wear and without 2 eyes it would be really hard to see.  So he tells me he's going to the ER and I'm like, "Ok, I'm going to meet you there!" And I'm crying and punching the stove that I finally turned on because it now won't turn off and I'm breaking my nails and my hands hurt really bad but that's nothing compared to what Brian is feeling. In the car, I'm crying all the way to the hospital because last time I was at a hospital for an injury, my sister's husband died and I am wondering what if Brian goes into a coma, has a brain injury or looses an eye or something that will change his life. But rest assured, he only needed one stitch and to swish with saline and take an antibiotic for a week. HOLY CRAP we were relieved. When he swished though the water literally came squirting out of the hole and his lip and face was swollen for a few days afterwards. But now it's healed and the stitch dissolved and he's fine. But shit, am I a pro at going from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds or what? I wish I had better stress management skills.

Then yesterday, I worked a shift at work for overtime and Brian went snowboarding. And by the time we both got home it was pretty nice out, about 50 degrees. So we had the side door open for the dogs to play outside and on the deck. The next thing we notice, we hear Mabel licking the hell out of something and when I go to see what she's getting into, I notice blood on her paw. She's licking the heck out of her foot. And when I go to inspect it, there's the hugest, deepest gash I've ever seen! She somehow cut her foot outside on something (I think?) so that the webbing and part of the side of her toe are split apart from the rest. She's really in pain because she's giving me that look with her ears back and her eyes all blinky so we call the vet but they aren't in on a Saturday. We had to call the emergency vet and take her in. They were really nice and fairly quick. We had the option of either just cleaning it and checking it everyday or putting her out to get some stitches which would be best since it would have a better chance at healing. We decided to have her get the stitches. I left there really sad and anxious because I keep thinking irrational what-ifs, as usual. What if they mistake her for another boston terrier that's being put to sleep? What if she dies from the anesthesia? What if what if what if!!?!



But as you can see she's doing fine and got a big pink bandage covering some stitches. She's going to have to be crated during the week now which will probably be worse for her than anything else.

And the final piece of this story is about our house hunting. It's good and it's bad. The bad is that we went to see the most perfect house (I'll be posting more details about it Wednesday) and we liked it so much we were going to put an offer on it. When our realtor called the seller's agent, they said that a signed agreement of sale just went through not even 30 minutes ago so we were basically looking at a dream house that wasn't available any more. My heart broke and I was really fucking sulky for the rest of the night and next day. The next day at work, Brian texted me that another awesome house just went up and of course I'm like ok let's go after work. Buying a house is seriously all about timing and being first. It was only 5 minutes away from where I worked. Score. When we got there we were the first people ever to see this house but there was another stupid fucking couple sitting in their car waiting outside for us to leave so they could take a tour too. We basically felt rushed as hell to look at this house because those other people were waiting for us to finish and we were late because I had to work till 5. Brian got there at 4:30 so who knows how long those people were there.

But I was again really fucking mad because I just knew that those other people were going to snatch this house out from under us too. I mean, why the hell not? It's been happening left and right with every house we really like. So I hardly looked around at the details because I didn't want to get my hopes up. It's IMPOSSIBLE to not get your hopes up either, people. So after our really quick look around we decided that yes, we were going to put in an offer. So we left and I peeled out (unintentionally of course, I swear) in front of the house like "SCRRREEEEEETCH!"  and those other people and their realtor turned around to look at me. God, I felt like a tool shed but I was just so not in the mood for having my heart broken again. Then when we get home Brian goes, "What if those people tell the sellers you peeled out in front of the house and they don't want to have people like us living in their neighborhood?" I'm like FUUUUCK I will kill myself if we don't get this house because of something stupid I did.

But...........

Our offer was accepted and given that all the inspections pass, and the house isn't going to sink or something, and no one pulls out or some other horrible thing happens, the house is ours. We got a house! And those other stupid people who were there looking at the house can suck a big one!



35 comments

  1. Wow! You've had the eventful week, haven't you?! Though mine was crazy! LOL! Saw your last Mabel tweet last night and was all, "What?! How?! WHAT?!" Dog Mama sympathy! Had to scroll back to see what happened to her. So glad that she is alright! Will keep my fingers and toes crossed that all goes well with the house. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief you are a worry-wart, but when I was taking my rat in for an op I was going through the same things. But seriously that's all some shitty luck you've got lately.
    BUT at least you found a house with a kick-arse fireplace! I love that thing!
    I hope things continue to look up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! That house is so amazing!!! Sorry about your week though. Sounds so stressful! Hopefully that sweet pup starts feeling better and the house ends up being just as perfect as it looks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I know, I'm totally a worry wort. I hate that about myself. I psych myself out for no reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol this dog mama be crazy! i can only imagine what i'll be like with a baby human. oh man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh so many stressful things :( I'm so sorry about all the injuries, I know how that feels to go from 0 to 100 in a few seconds. Last fire season Rob had to ride in a helicopter and I was checking the news every 10 minutes to see if there was a crash, seriously. Anyway I'm SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS about the house! The living room/dining area looks so nice! I can't wait to see more of it, and come visit and crash your living room. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that a disco ball in the living room? That's it, I'm coming over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Congratulations on the house! I was in the process of house hunting before I lost my job, and two houses I loved got snatched out from under me. It was terribly heartbreaking. I still think about them, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha you know we rushed through so fast i didn't even notice that. i'm sure its still there lol come on over let's dance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks! you are welcomed to stay of course :) we were thinking since we have the house, we had to go through something shitty to make up for it. karma is so fuckin weird.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh man i'm sorry! it's seriously an emotional drag going through that heartbreak. poop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gods, having your spouse in the ER is one of THE worst possible moments. I was a walking wreck when Jen was having issues and went in last year. I was crying, couldn't breath, kept nearly passing out and she was okay! She kept telling ME to relax. I stayed with her the entire time. Her problem was that her extremely stupid doctor put her on medication that upped certain levels, which almost caused liver failure. Grrrrrrrrr. So mad, still. And oh, poor Mabel!!! I would say having a sick pet baby is the second worst thing!!! I am so glad she'll be okay!!!

    Also, dude, that house is fucking beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what a crazy week but I'm glad everything is falling in place especially with the house (hope all of that works out). I hope Mabel is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Crazy week for you! But congrats on getting a house! That is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow........all those things are so crazy happening!! I'm so happy for you & your house though!!! It looks amazing on the inside!

    Good luck girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the house! After such a stressfull week, that house is a welcome gift! Hope Mabel is doing fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh god that's horrible, angie! i would totally be freaking out too. just walking into any dr's office makes my heart race but to be there for something serious i feel like i'm going to give myself a heart attack!
    mabel will be ok. it's just really hard to keep her calm since all she wants to do is play. i had to take her toys away temorarily :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. From one fellow worrier to another, I would've freaked about all those things, too. And your house looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous new blog love! Also - congratulations, that house is absolutely beautiful. It's like a house out of a book. How very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my, I would have totally freaked out if I had gotten a call from my husband having gotten hit in the face with a hockey puck... I am so glad Brian is ok! It could have been so much worse!

    Also, the house is really lovely... I am keeping my fingers crossed everything goes through!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a crazy week!
    Sending you all of the positive vibes about inspections!

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1) FRIENDS. The episode where Ross gets hits in the face with a hockey puck. If you don't know, watch it. It'll make a fun memory out of the whole ordeal. And your train of thought pretty much mimics what mine would have been! I am glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been!
    2)Your puppy is adorbs.
    3)Your house hunting experience sounds like one of those tv shows on hgtv!!! OMGOODNESS. Praying nothing goes wrong between now and when the sale is finalized. *fingers crossed*
    4) We'd be amazing friends.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i didn't watch friends but i'll have to find that episode!

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks :) i could use those positive vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooooh mate good luck!! You deserve that beautiful house!!!
    Does it come with the furniture? That rug is pretty sweet, and I'm loving the disco ball haha!!
    Totally understand the panic too, if my other half is 10 minutes late home from work I'm imagining him in a car crash right away!

    ReplyDelete
  26. thanks! no it comes unfurnished. we have our own stuff, but will probably need another new couch since the house is a bilevel and the upstairs is where our current couch will go. but down there with the fireplace we don't have any more furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on the house! Hope Mabel gets better soon, she looks so cute with her pink bandage!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh good lord, hockey pucks are scary when they're hurdling towards your face. Glad to hear he's ok! And I hear ya with the house paranoia - around here, there's no "bad housing market" and we were constantly fighting people for places. Hooray for finding one you love! :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am happy you got a house, it looks amazing. Sorry to hear about your hubby and pup, but I am glad they are both doing great. I am just like you, I bury myself in my mile long what if list and it is horrible. :( Things always work out though, even when it takes a long while, things always work out.

    ReplyDelete
  30. [...] been over 12 weeks since we found our house and we are finally moving in next week! We weren’t too excited about having such a long [...]

    ReplyDelete
  31. […] Here’s the last few houses we were considering before our offer was accepted on the house we are getting. […]

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall