Friday, August 17, 2018

The twins: Two months old and falling into a routine




Things are starting to get more fun now that the twins have started smiling! We've also had a few nights where they wake up only once. Their last meal of the day is usually around 7 or 8. Then we swaddle them up and put them down in their bassinets for bedtime at 8. And around 10 we'll try to dream feed them to hold them over. Sometimes they'll accept the bottle, sometimes they won't. But the last few nights they've gotten to 2am for a feeding and then will go back to sleep until around 6 or 7 in the morning which is amazing. Lachlan wakes up around 630 anyway so this is great. Of course, I'd love for everyone to sleep the hell in until at least 7 but whats most important is getting those night feeds down to zero.

The biggest thing that's saving us is feeding both at the same time even if that means waking one up. Once they are older and bigger we might stop doing that to the other twin so they won't get into a habit of eating at night if they don't need to, but it just saves us time and lets us go back to sleep without having to wake up again in an hour or so to feed the baby who didn't get fed before.

Sleep is a huge important issue for me. You know, how people say choose your battles with kids? Well this is THE battle worth fighting for me. I need sleep to function and be a nice person and it's really worth the effort and energy we put in during the daytime to make sure they can sleep through the night eventually.

Our daytime routine is starting to fall into place. I'm following their lead and feeding them when they are hungry instead of fretting about keeping them on the same schedule. The end up syncing up their feeds anyway around bedtime. What matters most is that they sleep through the night. I don't mind feeding them staggered throughout the day if that means they fill up in the day and need less to eat at night. Of course it's more work and feeling like it's non-stop feeding every hour or two, but it is what it is. If they need to eat at exactly the same time, it becomes a surround sound cry fest until I get everything and everyone situated. So having 20 minutes between feeds isn't so bad.

I've figured out a way to feed both babies at once that let's me burp one without having to stop feeding the other one. I put them both on the Twin Z Pillow, roll up a blanket and place the blanket in an upside down U shape around their heads and rest their bottle on the pillow.

And I also bought this handy little device for when we are out and both babies decide they need to eat at the same time. I can stick this in someone's car seat and hand feed the other. I'm not a fan of juggling so this seems to be a huge help!

Ok, so with that, here's how everyone's doing!


Sadie
weighs 9 pounds 6 ounces
is 22 inches long
is in size 1 diapers
is in size newborn clothes but not for much longer
only cries when she has a need
started smiling on the same day as her brother, August 1
hates bath time
tolerates diaper changes way better than her brother
has her big brother's easy going temperment



Cormac
weighs 9 pounds 10 ounces
is 22 inches long
is in size newborn diapers, though he could fit in size 1's. We just want to use up what we have to save money!
is in size newborn clothes but not for much longer
cries whenever he wants, usually as soon as he wakes up until a bottle is put in his mouth
started smiling on the same day as his sis, August 1
has a bit of cradle cap
tolerates bath time better than his sister
hates diaper changes
loves laying on his play mat and looking at the lights. I get the most smiles from him then!

I have to say, as terrified as I was about having twins my entire pregnancy, I'm finally starting to have fun and see that newborn twins is a challenge I'm able to handle after all. Of course babies change and what's challenging us one day will soon be gone and a new challenge will arise. But right now, the sleep thing is in a good place, I'm finding my footing with taking all three kids out of the house, and I'm more comfortable at handling both of them in the day by myself.

Lachlan is also such an amazing big brother! And he will help me. He'll put dirty bottles in the dirty bin, he'll grab a clean diaper for me, if Cormac is crying he'll put the pacifier in his mouth, and he started holding their bottle sometimes too. He's such a sweet kid!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall