Tuesday, December 6, 2016

What's on my needles: Barley hat



I can't get over how much I loved knitting this hat! I found the yarn at my local yarn shop and instantly knew I wanted to make a hat with it. I tend to steer away from purple, but this yarn was so soft and so stunning with all the different colors mixed in that I couldn't resist. And the pattern kept showing up in my hat searches on Ravelry.



Project info:

Pattern: Barley Hat (it's free!)

Yarn: Malabrigo Silky Merino in Queguay colorway

Needles: 4.0mm, and 5.0mm



The Barley Hat was simple enough to give me confidence in my beginner knitting skills, yet the finished result with the little patch of purl stitches looks really cool. The pattern is written so clearly that the designer has incorporated it into her free pattern series for projects to help you learn how to knit, called The Simple Collection.



When it came time to decrease, I was still a bit nervous since the last time I used double pointed needles, I was really struggling, but I think because of all the practice I had with knitting simple projects over the last few months, it didn't feel as scary. And like I said, the pattern is written so clearly that I always knew where to put a marker and how many stitches needed to go on each DPN.


3 comments

  1. looks lovely, I think I'll have to give it a go too! Also the Simple collection looks amazing, thank you for sharing that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! The yarn is awesome! I love knitting with Malabrigo yarn and the colorway is beautiful! And I've had an eye on the Barley hat for a while now! Might have to knit one up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Chrissy! it was so much fun to make. you should knit one up!

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall