Monday, February 15, 2016

3 months old: Milestones and lessons

Somehow I got mixed up on the age of my son at one point this month. I thought he was a week younger than he really was. WOOPS! I blame this mostly on how my weekdays seem to meld together into one long day. I rarely know the date, let alone the day. But it's all good! I got my head on straight....for now.

Lachlan is more aware of his surroundings now and I feel bad for him in that he can't really "do" anything besides look at things. Obviously this is all normal baby behavior and boredom probably doesn't bother him as much as it does me at this point in his development, so it's my own issues being reflected back at me with wanting to make sure he's entertained enough during the day.

This month:


  • Lachlan weighs 15 pounds.
  • His 3 month size clothes are getting tight.
  • He can hold his head up really well, but doesn't like to do tummy time for more than a few minutes.
  • I found that if I crack myself up laughing, I can get him to almost laugh himself. He'll do one, Haaahhhh.
  • Brian got him to actually giggle. I wish I could remember what he said to him.
  • I like to sit him up on a pillow on my lap so we can talk and smile at each other. This position makes him spit up sometimes though.
  • His first power puke was truly shocking. I screamed. He cried. The couch suffered.
  • He's cooing and playing with his voice (sounds and volume) so much more now. Some of the sounds he makes crack us up.
  • Every time he gets his diaper changed he gives us the biggest smile. Like he's saying, have at it boss!
  • A diaper change will also snap him out of a crying fit.
  • There are no tears during bath time anymore. Only sometimes, when he gets out because he's cold.
  • I got most of his cradle cap to come off. I used baby oil and a baby comb once it softened. This was gag inducing!
  • He's so stinkin happy in the mornings, I love it. He smiles and talks to himself while we wake up, get him dressed and fed.
  • At night he will sleep from 10-3:30ish, then eats, then sleeps again till 7:30-9ish.
  • He shows interest in toys and the dogs, but he won't touch or grab them yet. Just stares at them. I think he gets bored sometimes.

Lessons learned this month:


  • Beware: holding a post-fed baby in a sitting position while facing you may result in spit up down your shirt, between the boobs.
  • Buy two types of baby monitors: One with video to mount in the nursery, and one with just audio where you can put it anywhere the baby actually falls asleep.
  • You will lose social media followers by the dozens and it sucks, but fuck them.
  • Postpartum hair loss is no joke.
  • It's really hard to dry a wet baby by yourself without 4 arms. But if you place the bottom corner (opposite the hood) of a hooded towel on your shoulder with the hood side facing out, then place baby on that shoulder, you can flip the hooded corner up to cover his head that way, and he'll be halfway wrapped up. Lach will scream his head off if I put him down on a padded table while wet so I try to avoid this at all costs! He hates being cold. Which is funny to me since he was frozen as an embryo ;)

13 comments

  1. have you really lost followers? That does suck but its their loss, I'm currently loving all the photos :) and I can't actually believe he's 3 months already?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I guess they don't like babies lol. Im extra careful not to flood my feed with baby pics either to the point I set up a separate instagram account for our families to follow because they like the baby spam.
    But yea its been a fast 3 months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three months already, crazy! Also, I find it weird you lost followers...like just because you post family stuff? How strange. People are weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He gets more adorable by the day. I am loving babyhood seen through your eyes. Makes me nostalgic for the days my 17 year old baby was a baby. Apparently Blogger did a clean-up and dumped non Blogger people from our followers. I lost 24 followers over the course of a week. It was devastating. That might of happened. If not, and they really left because of your blog focus, well good riddance. Life is full of rapid change and survivors change with the times. I love your blog as much now as when you were posting about pugs and then crochet. That's life.
    Love Noodles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe it's been 3 months! What a happy kid. At that age boredom REALLY affected Amelia. Her mood didn't really improve until she could move around and get to stuff, plus she was only happy when dancing, so we think that was the issue lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea mostly on Instagram. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea mostly on Instagram. Oh well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha yea I think for now Lachlan is keeping himself entertained by making noises and shoving his entire hand in his mouth lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks noodles! Sorry about your lost followers! Is Google friend connect still working? I thought it was ending in 2013 or something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is so cute and time does fly! 3 months already! My Emma will be 1 yrs old this Friday :( I always find myself needing more than 2 hands!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww happy early birthday to Emma! That was fast! Wahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He's getting so big! Love reading about his milestones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love reading milestones like this! Gives me a lot to look forward to... and look out for! :)

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall