Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Pregnancy after infertility: An honest narrative

A scared little Mabel was hiding behind the chair from the thunder

I'm more than halfway through my pregnancy as I write this (viability at 24 weeks actually, which is a huge milestone!), but my thoughts and feelings are constantly running a hundred miles a minute. I'll go from completely blissful looking on Pinterest for nursery ideas, to completely convinced I'm going to go into preterm labor and will have to go through the struggle of IVF again....or not at all because we can't afford to.

This post is to share how infertility steals any happiness and excitement you may have after discovering you're pregnant, the one thing you've been fighting so hard for and once you achieve it you slam on the metaphorical breaks and don't want to let your guard down. Yea, it sucks. So here's what honestly went through my mind from day 1 of my first pregnancy test to today: a perfect example of the contradicting thoughts us infertiles deal with daily - or maybe it's just weirdo me, but I'm pretty sure many of the ladies in the infertility community would agree with me:

Upon first learning of my pregnancy, I cried hysterically. "I see two lines! I see it! I see you, little pink line!"

Quickly followed by, "It may not be real, it could be residual from my hormone injections and be a false positive. Don't get too excited."

Upon learning of my pregnancy from my nurse after the official blood test: "OMG for real? My beta number is that high? Wow this is happening! I'm pregnant."

Quickly followed by, "The next follow up blood test could be the bad one and not double. I don't want to get my hopes up."

Upon learning of my 2nd pregnancy blood test: "Wow my beta number more than doubled! It's working! I'm still pregnant!"

Quickly followed by, "It could still be ectopic, molar, a blighted ovum, or there could be no heartbeat at the 7 week ultrasound. Don't get your hopes up."

Upon learning that the baby had a heartbeat at the 7 week ultrasound: "OMG OMG *cries hysterically* There's a baby in there with a beating heart. There is a tiny human in me! I'm growing a tiny human!"

Quickly followed by, "The 9 week ultrasound may be where we see the heart has stopped beating."

Upon learning that the baby is still alive and growing at the 9 week ultrasound: "OMG this is too good to be true! Am I really this lucky to have this happening to me?"

Quickly followed by, "I am scared that weaning off my IVF medications will cause a miscarriage though" and, "I'm starting to feel a little better. Something must be wrong."

Upon learning that the baby still has a heartbeat at 10 weeks: "Wow AND it's moving around like crazy in there!"

Quickly followed by, "SO much can happen between now and my next appointment in 4 weeks."

Upon learning that the baby is still alive and literally kicking at 18 weeks (and tested negative for spina bifida): "Well, I've been having cramps on and off and I could have an incompetent cervix which will lead to premature labor/miscarriage" and "There's GOTTA be something wrong. I mean I can't get through this entire pregnancy without having at least one thing go really wrong."

Quickly followed by, "Cool, so nothing is wrong with my cervix. Now we just have to wait till our 20 week anatomy scan to see if there's a heart defect. There's probably a heart defect since 3 people on my husband's side has one."

Upon learning that baby doesn't have a heart defect, "Wow we are so lucky he's healthy!"

Quickly followed by, "But my placenta is low-lying and I'm afraid that could mean bad things for delivery if it doesn't move up" and "He may be healthy now, but will I make it to viability at 24 weeks?"

Upon learning that we made it to viability, and if he was born right now the chances of him surviving are 50%, "Ok, we made it to viability, but his chances of survival on the outside are still pretty low until at least 28 weeks. I'll feel better at 28 weeks...."

OMG I'm so freakin mentally exhausted. Am I gonna have this baby or not? My body says yes, my mind says maybe and that's just fucking unfair.

Basically, after you (and when I say you, I mean me or general you) struggle through infertility, you never let your guard down. You don't believe you deserve this because you cheated nature. You never want to get too excited because it could all be taken away from you in an instant. You know exactly what you have to lose. You feel every twinge, cramp, and pain and think it means impending doom. You are afraid to book an appointment with a normal OB after you are discharged from your infertility doc because you might jinx things even though you've never believed in jinxes before in your entire life. You feel guilty for buying a baby toy or onesie because if something bad happens, you'll have these little reminders here and there to break your heart. You don't want to tell people, even in the 2nd trimester because if something bad happens, you'll have to tell them the bad news and see their face react to the news. You don't want to set up a baby registry because you strongly feel this is jinxing everything and you physically feel ill while walking into Babies R Us but you do it anyway because that's what a normal pregnant person is supposed to do and you've been dying to be considered "just another normal pregnant person" since that first jab of the very first IVF hormone needle.

And if luck is on your side and you do manage to get and stay pregnant, there is this little bit of guilt in the back of your mind knowing there are still so many women out there who don't have their babies, who've gone through many more losses, who've done way more IVF treatments than you, who seem to have their shit way more together than you.

Basically, to me, pregnancy is a 10 month long fear-fest. Now that I got what I wanted, a loss will hurt even more than if I never got pregnant in the first place because we are SO close to the end. I wish I could just enjoy my pregnancy (and maybe I will once I reach the third trimester in 3 weeks, who knows. I think I will...), and I do enjoy it every now and then like when I feel his reassuring kicks or notice my bump grew practically overnight, but the fear of knowing just exactly what I have to lose and what we're up against again if it fails is always there.

Just because I'm pregnant after infertility, doesn't take the bitterness and pain away of all we went through just to have a chance at getting pregnant like every other fertile couple in the world. It's still there, just maybe not as strong. It's something I will carry with me throughout the rest of my life. And at least now I can look at babies and pregnant ladies without wanting to run into the nearest bathroom and bawl/puke/scream my face off. Just the other day actually I saw a new mom with a carseat canopy and said to myself how I almost bought one in that very same pattern!

But I know there's still more pain to come. Pain when people innocently ask, so when are you going to give him a sibling? Oh, if only they knew what we had to go through for just one!

6 comments

  1. I am so sorry that you're going through it - you are very strong! Will keep your family in my prayers and that everything continues forth without hiccup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In an odd way, this is lovely post. Not because you are suffering, but because you are able to share this with us. Internet people who really care :) Kinda weird huh? I can empathize from the worrying perspective, because I am a born worrier. About everything.

    I'm 46 and have no kids. It would cost $$ in therapy to figure out why. I only got married at 35, and another factor is that I'm adopted. I've always been very aware that parenthood is the most important job in the world. I'm one of the lucky ones though, I was adopted by the most wonderful parents I could've asked for. My Mom is my best friend and is a phenomenal Nana to my brother's kids. My parents tried for years (back in the 60's) and were just never lucky. My Mom said that every month for over 6 years when she got her period it was heart breaking. It is odd that the one thing I have in common with her is never experiencing child birth.

    I was over the moon happy for you & Brian when you announced your pregnancy. Normally, if there is a person with a stroller and a dog, I notice the dog & don't even look at the baby. Now I see little boy things in store windows & think of you,

    I think my fur babies over the years have helped fulfill my maternal side. You were a great Mom to Cyrus as you are to Monty & Mabel. You'll be a great Mom to your boy. It's all about love

    I truly wish the very best for you. I'm not religious so I can't say I pray, but I am sending positive thoughts & vibes your way :)

    Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine what an emotional rollercoaster your experience must be. You don't want to get your hopes up and your thoughts directly go to the worst-case scenario. It's understandable after all the heartache you've been through.
    I hope you can look back at this time and appreciate how lucky you have been once you hold your little guy in your arms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a journey! you will be rewarded with your little one :) I spot cute mabel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found this post and want to thank you. I am somewhere in the middle (early?) stages of our infertility journey and starting IVF next month. I've been seeing a counsellor to help deal with my sadness/anger/anxiety about infertility and I want to say to people "If I get pregnant, I won't be 'fixed' from this experience. This is only just the beginning."

    You have perfectly captured everything I anticipate will experiencing if I can even ever get to a pregnant. So thank you for having this all in one place for me to refer to when I need it.

    I'm curious: how has infertility shaped your experiences as a parent?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi lindsay! thank you for your kind words. like you said, it really is hard to get people to understand that just because we were able to get pregnant with ivf, doesn't mean i'm ok with any of it now that it's over. or even stupider, that my 'body knows how to be pregnant so maybe you can get pregnant on your own now.' HA if only it was that easy! some people's ignorance about how pregnancy even works (and even just BIOLOGY) never ceases to amaze me! the experience was somewhat traumatizing and really upsetting with all that we had to go through, as you know. and the fear that, oh shit, maybe we really never will end up with a biological child, made my blood run cold knowing that could very well be a possibility. adoption isn't for everyone, and i don't think that was something we would've pursued had none of our ivf cycles worked. that was such a scary feeling. so that pain is never gone. because now, i don't get a say in how or when i can give our son a sibling. and he's really damn cute to watch him play with other kids. it kills me. and we can't afford another gamble.

    to answer your question, i feel like i was extra vigilant to capture memories of being pregnant as well as almost neurotically document all our son's 'firsts' because I know in my heart that we won't be able to do it again with another kid. so i feel like I'm totally present with my son (or at least trying hard to be) so I can remember all the little things since this is it for us.

    also, i feel like the entire process of ivf solidified my decision that yes, i want to be a mom. i was always on the fence about kids before. but if you're on the fence, why the hell would anyone put themselves through this? so because of everything, i feel like a fierce mama bear for fighting it all for him ;)

    I'm glad you're talking about everything with a counselor. and i really wish you the best of luck with your IVF cycle. it's not as scary (physically) as it seems. it's all mental! and lots of waiting around for phone calls and blood test results.

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall