Monday, November 4, 2013

How to make a crochet star


I thought for November's crochet-along project we could make something with stars. A garland, an ornament, anything. Come back around November 27th to link up and share what you made. Here's an easy tutorial on how to make one!

Update: This pattern is written using US terms. Click here to see a UK conversion chart!

Star pattern:

Start with a magic ring. 15 Dc into the ring.
Click here for my video tutorial on how to make a magic ring.

Slip stitch to join in top of first DC. Pull the tail to close the hole (or leave it open if you wish). Chain 6.

SC in third stitch from hook. HDC in next stitch. Dc in next two stitches.

Skip two stitches. Slip stitch in third stitch to anchor down star arm. Repeat these last three steps 4 more times.

When you get to the last arm of the star, you will slip stitch into the first stitch, then finish off. Weave in ends.


How to block your stars:


You may wish to block your star so the arms stay flat. It's very simple to do this. All you need is a piece of cardboard, some pins, and a spray bottle of water. Flatten and stretch the star to the shape you want it to be in when dry. Pin them in that position to the cardboard. Spray liberally with water and let air dry.

(Psst, I cheated by using a hairdryer to dry them because I was impatient - my yarn was wool so I wasn't worried about melting, but acrylic may melt this way- so be careful and maybe test one first).

When completely dry, remove the pins and you're done!

Here's a blocking before and after:

27 comments

  1. Love it! And your tutorial is awesome. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute, and this was a great tutorial! I feel really confident that I could make a bunch of these cute little guys now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, I shall join in this month and make some of these! I've been crocheting snowflakes, so these will go with the Christmassy crocheting theme :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yay! that makes me feel good :) go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your very wonderful crochet tut! Can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! Shared on FB today - Oombawka Design - Completely Hooked :) Rhondda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really behind as I'm only just getting round to making mine, but I just wanted to say this tutorial is fab, the pictures are really clear and I love your labelling on them to make everything obvious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. […] month’s crochet-along was stars, and Alycia wrote a great photo tutorial on how to make […]

    ReplyDelete
  9. […] Verder nog leuke sterren gemaakt met haaknaald 4.0 mm en acryl garen met glitter. Het patroon is hier te vinden. Ik had ze voor het eerst gezien op […]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pictures & effort you put in here. When I use this method my stars end up with gaps, not the nice tight, evenness you get. Is it my yarn? My stitches are as tight as I can make them. :S

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are little spaces on the flat base of the pointy part because you are skipping stitches. But other than that I'm not sure. Do you have a picture?

    ReplyDelete
  12. […] Empezar con un anillo mágico de 15 puntos altos (dc). A continuación sigue el paso a paso visual. Más información en habitualhomebody.com […]

    ReplyDelete
  13. […] To help make your hearts and stars lay flat and not curl up, I love this post for how to block your crochet pieces from Habitual […]

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant tutorial and photos. Thank you so much. I will be making the stars to applique on a throw I am making for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your tutorials! Especially the pictures with written tags. Thanks for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent tutorial! Thank you so much for taking the time to take pictures and be so clear with your directions!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What yarn did you use?? Can I use a cotton/medium weight yarn??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mindy, I believe I used a wool blend from knit picks. it was worsted weight.

    ReplyDelete
  19. […] So what did you make with your stars? I made a garland. For my crochet star tutorial, click here! […]

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this easy to follow design, I am making beanie hats and am looking for different appliques to attach. It looks fab xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love them!!!! Thank you so much 😊

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you! I have been through so many tutorials trying to find one that I could work with. Your site will go under my favs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very good tutorial! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  24. This helped me so much!!!! Do you have a tutorial to make a really big star? I need to make one that's about a foot tall

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall