Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A to Z Bookish Survey

I found this book survey on Miles from Ordinary which she got from Perpetual Page Turner and I was excited to take the survey myself! I seriously can't get enough of reading and am always on the lookout for my next book.

Book print from Modulem.

Author you've read the most books from:


That would be Charlaine Harris. After getting into Sookie, I found her other series, The Harper Connelly series, The Lily Bard series, and Aurora Teagarden and couldn't get enough.

Best Sequel Ever:


I'm not sure if sequel in this case refers to only one sequel or if it refers to an entire series because those are sequels too, but I'm going to say all the books after Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel. They really caught my interest and got me into prehistoric lifestyle and survival. The description may sound kind of boring but the books are absolutely not.

Currently Reading:


Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, which might actually replace my favorite sequel once I finish.

Drink of Choice While Reading:


I usually read in bed before I go to sleep so .... water. I'm not all cute and cozy with a mug of tea but I can see the appeal.

E-reader or Physical Book?


I love my Kindle for the convenience but I would probably always choose a physical book over an ebook anyday. Plus, you have something to show for it on your bookshelf when you're done.

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated In High School:


I don't really know. I feel like if I read romance novels (blech) I'd be able to come up with an answer but I don't.

Glad You Gave This Book A Chance:


Clan of the Cave Bear because historical fiction isn't usually something I go for.

Hidden Gem Book:


Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs. Quite possibly the funniest book I've ever read.

Important Moment in your Reading Life:


Like Jamie, I'm going to say finding Goodreads. It really makes it easy to find new books, track the ones you read, and rate the ones you've read. I'm using it right now to get the answers to these questions because there's no way I could remember all the books I've ever read without it.

Just Finished:


Asylum the Complete Series by Amy Cross. I love the creepiness factor building up through the entire book...I was freaked out to read this before bed (which is a good thing), but the ending left me high and dry. I thought the story wasn't over but it turned out I was reading the sample chapter from another book that they usually put at the end. Like, the story just ended and I had no idea lol.

Kinds of Books You Won’t Read:


I won't read books with torture or rape scenes. I like a good horror story, but that shit is too real for me to enjoy.

Longest Book You’ve Read:


The Stand by Stephen King at 1,153 pages and I am very proud of that one haha

Major book hangover because of:

The Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness. The very last book in the series, I was sobbing hysterically and felt really damn sad it was over.

Number of Bookcases You Own:


Two.

One Book You Have Read Multiple Times:


I don't usually re-read books but I have re-read Dead to the World (Sookie book 4) specifically for the Sookie/Eric sex scene.

Preferred Place To Read:


In my bed!

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you've read:


I only remember it because I highlighted it in my Kindle and I can go back through them later...
Pain, like light, comes in different wavelengths.  Life's smaller injuries and discomforts, like microwave radiation, inflict their hurt without delay.  You feel it instantly when you realize you have been shorted a dollar at the grocery store, or cannot find a seat on the subway, or get soaked by the water splashed up by a passing car.  But the great calamities and disasters are in general too large to be experienced immediately.  Like massive waves they pick you up and carry you away, and it is not until much later, when you have been set down somewhere distant, that the disorientation clears and you realize what you have suffered or lost.  --From Speculation by Edmund Jorgensen

Reading Regret:


The Shack. I bought this at an airport before a flight and had no idea it was about God. I found it irritating and so I eventually used it as a wedge between the wall and our crooked dresser so it would stop wobbling. Not a fan of books about religion.

Series You Started And Need To Finish (all books are out in series):


I need to finish The Strain Trilogy by Guillermo del Toro (he directed Pan's Labyrinth)! A very interesting take on vampires/sci-fi.

Three of your All-Time Favorite Books:


False Memory by Dean Koontz, The Philanthropist's Danse by Paul Wornham, The Hunger Games #1 by Suzanne Collins.
And my favorite novella would be The Old Man an the Wasteland by Nick Cole.

Unapologetic Fangirl For:


The Soulkeepers series by G.P. Ching. They're YA fantasy type of read but I really enjoyed them.

Very Excited For This Release More Than All The Others:


Not really sure about this one, but I am pretty excited for any new releases by Joe Hill and Chuck Palahniuk.

Worst Bookish Habit:


I tend to be cheap and get those free or below $3 dollar ebooks from Amazon. And most of the time they SUCK (riddled with typos or the story line is just whack) but I continue to do this because I don't feel like shelling out $15 for a book and I'm too lazy to go to the library. Every now and then I'll find a typo-free gem, but usually not. It makes splurging on real books even sweeter.

X Marks The Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:


Spook by Mary Roach, a good read about science's take on the afterlife.

Your latest book purchase:


Doctor Sleep.

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late):


I can't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure The Hunger Games kept me up pretty late. I remember finishing book 1 and immediately opening book 2.

12 comments

  1. I'm going to give this a go myself!
    I bought Doctor Sleep for my dad for his birthday. It came out 3 days before his birthday, he never usually buys himself anything around then just in case but he spaced this time and bought it for himself, he came home, showed me all excited and I just sighed and returned my copy and gave him the money for it. He said it's better than he expected it to be because he didn't enjoy the Shining all that much. I've not read much King myself, I've read a few Koontz but I prefer fantasy really. Though not Harry Potter, I can't quite seem to enjoy it as much as my friends do. My heart lies in Middle Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great quiz - definitely snagging it for my blog. I'll link up to here if that's ok with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doctor Sleep. I had no idea that was a The Shining "sequel!" (I am way behind on my contemporary King knowledge.) I am definitely going to have to pick that up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen this on a few blogs..... I think I need to do it! Have you tried seeing if you can rent ebooks through your library website? Our library does this and it is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about other people's reading... definitely going to do this one myself too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I powered through the Hunger Games too - loved reading your answers to this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on the Kindle vs. physical book thing. I tend to buy physical books that I'm pretty sure I'll like and that look nice. But all my dumb cheap Kindle books, slightly shameful YA books and travel reads stay strictly in the digital realm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh fantastic quiz! Definitely going to have to pinch it for my blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh fun! I love hearing about good books. Off to check out goodreads now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Clan of the Cave Bear series is amazing! I'm always stoked when I come across someone else who has red and loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. […] So here are both, in one tidy, neat form. Hoorah. This marriage of loveliness came from expert crocheter (is that a word??) and pug-owner, Habitual Homebody. […]

    ReplyDelete
  12. […] saw this survey on Habitual Homebody, and then it popped up again on Milo and Molly so I thought I’d take part too, because […]

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall