Monday, September 23, 2013

C25K progress: Thoughts on weeks 1 and 2

Why does my android's camera quality suck so much?

I finished week 2 last Friday and am starting week 3 of couch to 5k tonight. Here's some thoughts on my progress thus far.

Before - Just to have a starting point for where I was at before I started c25k:
-Before I started the program I was totally sedentary. A big fat lazy bum. I sit all day at my job and sit at home after work and crochet, and I still do sit most of the time because who the hell has time to run around all day? I outgrew most of my clothes and I ate whatever I wanted and really started hating myself. And with plans to have a baby in the future, I didn't want to have to gain more weight on top of what I already gained in the last few years being unemployed.

My diet currently:
-I am not counting calories because I really freakin love to eat, but I have cut out junk food and random snacking for no reason at night (However, I will NOT give up a few small pieces of Dove chocolate after dinner or I will become one hell of a mean bitch). I'll have a small bowl of cereal for breakfast, a yogurt mid afternoon to get me to lunchtime (or I get low blood sugar), a salad or soup for lunch and a normal home cooked dinner. I'll also eat fruit and almonds when I feel hungry in between meals at work instead of one of those delicious granola bars with chocolate layered on the bottom oh, God. I've found that running before dinner helps to stave off my ravenous appetite for a few hours too. My stomach is also getting used to smaller meals which is awesome.

Week 1: Brisk 5 min warm up, alternate 60 seconds jogging with 90 seconds walking for 20 minutes.
-I like that you start off  super easy.  You can run as fast or as slow as you want. As long as you try to keep running without stopping  in the  allotted time frame (which really isn't that bad -- yet)  you are doing it. Realizing that you can do it, feels really damn good and makes me want to keep pushing myself.

-I've been running 4 days a week instead of the recommended 3. I figure as long as I'm up for it, go for it. So I usually run Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday right after work before I even sit down or I know I won't do it.

-On my treadmill I have a huge MPH display where I select my speed. On the very first day of week 1 I walked at 3 and jogged at 4. I know I looked pathetic but that's why I have a treadmill so I don't have to do this publicly! When I realized my heart wouldn't explode, the next day I walked at 3.5 and ran at 4.5 where I maintained that for the remainder of the week.

Week 2: Brisk 5 min warm up, alternate 90 seconds jogging with 2 minutes walking for 20 minutes.-I know I don't have to keep increasing my speed, but I wanted to try and push myself so I tried walking at 4 but it was way too fast for my short legs. I will have to keep the pace at 3.5 for walking, but I ran at 5 the first 3 days and the last day I ran at 5.5. I was dead afterwards but the best part was knowing that I could do it.

C25k app:
-I've been using the free version of this app for the first two weeks and it's pretty cool. A lady's voice comes on to tell you when to start running and when to start walking so you don't have to keep track in your head, because who the hell can do that when you're huffing and puffing for your life? You can play the app over your Pandora radio too, it temporarily lowers the volume when she talks so you can hear when you can stop killing yourself, I mean running.

Thoughts:
-Now, I don't know if it's all in my head, but almost immediately after week 1 my stomach started feeling tighter already. Even if it is in my head, that's what matters though right? How I feel about myself even if it's not true haha.

-I'm scared for next week because week 3 includes a 3 minute jogging portion. I might have to repeat week 2 if I can't do it.

4 comments

  1. "so you can hear when to stop killing yourself" xD My thoughts exactly. But it does make me feel much better!

    (and oh man, those little Dove chocolate bites? Heaven.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started loosing weight before my pregnancy I gave up junk food, soda and say if I ate fast food twice a week I cut it down to one or less. Just doing that made me lose like 5 pounds with in 2 weeks. I also started packing a lot more of my lunches and it was amazing!!! Keep at it and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! Don't even think twice about repeating a week, that's the great thing about the program - flexibility!! Take it from someone who got stuck on week 4 for 2 months straight....little did I know that really sticking with it would leave me 90 pounds lighter and crossing the finish line of a half marathon. You've totally got this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. […] our place – Done Read at least 30 books a year – Done Get the crazy dogs some training Start a workout program  Will never be completely done Build a chicken coop and raise some chickens Grow a veggie garden […]

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall