Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What's On My Hook: Bobble Stitch Pillow (with free pattern!)


I am so happy with the way this came out! The colors I choose go with our bedroom color scheme of yellow, grey, and blue (as if you couldn't tell). I have plans for a bolster pillow next.

I decided to write up my own pattern for this one. If anything is wonky within it, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

Materials:
Worsted weight yarn - I used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes yarn in colors (from center) Semolina, Creme Brulee, White, Wonderland Heather and the grey is Lion's Brand Wool-Ease in grey heather.
J hook (6mm)
14 inch pillowform
Darning needle
Scissors

Notes before you start:-Do not count your beginning ch 2 as a stitch. You will be joining into the first DC of your round.

-I will not be saying when to change colors in the pattern. I'll leave that up to you!

-When I wanted to change colors, I finished off completely with the color before it. Then I added the new color by putting a slip knot on my hook, keeping the new yarn on my hook, I insert into a stitch, yarn over and pull through the center of the knot. There's probably hundreds of ways to do add a new color, but I like this way the best.

-In my pillow, I ended up doing 11 rounds. But obviously you can add or remove rounds depending on the size of your pillow or tension of your yarn. Either way, make your last round the same amount of stitches as the one before it. So you are no longer increasing, you're just doing 1 dc in each stitch around.

Pattern:
Round 1 – Start with a magic loop (click for magic loop video tutorial). Work 12dc’s into center. Join with a slip stitch in top of first DC. (12)
Round 2 – Ch 2, work 2dc’s into each st, join. (24)
Round 3 – Ch 2, dc in next, 2dc in next around, sl st to join. (36)
Round 4 – Ch 2, dc in next 2, 2dc in next around, sl st to join. (48)
Round 5 – Ch 2, dc in next 3, 2dc in next around, sl st to join. (60)
Round 6 – Ch 2, dc in next 4, 2dc in next around, sl st to join. (72)
Round 7 – Ch 2, dc in next 5, 2dc in next around, sl st to join. (84)
Round 8 – Ch 2, dc in next 6, 2dc in next around, sl st to join. (96)
Round 9 – Ch 2, dc in next 7, 2dc in next around, sl st to join. (108)
Round 10 – Ch 2, dc in next 8, 2dc in next) around, sl st to join. (120)
Round 11 - Ch 2, dc in each stitch around, sl st to join. Finish off. Weave in ends. (120)

Make another one of these for the back, or you can just do it all one color.

Joining the two sides together:
With right sides facing out, begin joining the two by doing a row of single crochet stitches around. Stuff the pillow in about half way around. Keep going, join with a slip stitch and chain 1.



Bobble stitch edging:
So you left off with the ch 1.
Slip stitch into the first st.
*Ch 2
You will now be doing a series of incomplete double crochets (aka: a bobble stitch). Here's how:

Yarn over, insert hook into same space as where you made the slip st, yarn over, pull through (you will have three loops on your hook), yarn over, pull through two loops (you will have two loops on your hook).

Repeat this again: yarn over, insert hook into same space again, yarn over, pull through, (you will have four loops on your hook), yarn over, pull through two loops only (you will have three loops on your hook).

Repeat this again: you will have four loops on your hook.

Yarn over and pull through all four loops on your hook.

Ch 1

Slip Stitch into same space you've been working in. The bobble will now form but you'll have to pop the stitches forward. You can do that at the end once everything is done.

Slip stitch into next 3 stitches for spacing. * Then repeat until you go all the way around.
I chose 3 slip stitches here because 3 is a multiple of 120, which happens to be the number of stitches in the last round of the main circle. You could do 2 if you want the bobbles to be closer together.

Slip stitch to join. Finish off. Weave in ends. Rock your room with your awesome new pillow. Then email or tweet me a pic because I wanna see!

7 comments

  1. I love your color choices and the trim! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours your chose, its so sunny and bright

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!!!! Great pattern! Looking forward to making! Perhaps a future crochet-along??

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I wish I could crochet!

    Becky
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pillow is so pretty! I like the design, and absolutely love the color choices. Thanks for including the pattern.

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall