Friday, July 13, 2018

The twins: One month old and in survival mode



This past month has been both the longest and shortest month of my entire life. I knew it would be super hard with twins and so far that has held true, no doubt about that. If I can be honest, the newborn stage is not my favorite stage regardless of having twins. The round the clock feeding, burping and diaper changes have been exhausting x10 and is just straight up not fun. I see being one month old as us being one month closer to getting longer stretches of sleep at night, that sounds terrible doesn't it!? Right now at night they wake every 3 hours to eat and it's been really hard on us this time around. I think because for one, we are older, and two, we had it easy with Lachlan who was a great sleeper from the start. If one baby wakes to eat at night and the other doesn't, we wake their tiny butt up to feed them too. That is the only thing keeping our sanity at this point. We each take a baby and feed, burp and change them. But the last few nights I've been asking Brian to do the first 11pm night feed because I fall asleep at 9 and waking up 2 hours later is just brutal and killing me. But in the daytime they feed much more frequently, which is good because I'd rather fill them up in the day while I'm awake than nighttime when all I want is to sleep my face off. But even still, during the day I find myself telling them to go to sleep so I can rest, but then again don't sleep too much so they won't sleep at night lol.



But despite all the tiring parts of newborns in general, I really love how cute they are and how tiny their little clothes are. And I love seeing Lachlan ease into his role as big brother. He's so sweet with them, always wanting to hold their tiny hands for a picture or commenting on if they are crying or naming their body parts. I'm still waiting for a huge shift in Lachlan's behavior but so far he seems to be unaffected. I'm also waiting for a huge breakdown on my end, but so far I've held it together for the most part, despite some small crying fits of despair because I'm just. So. Tired.

Everywhere we go people want to gaze upon them. One lady who worked at the pediatrician's office literally ran after us as we were leaving the building after our appointment so her friend could see the twins. And then there are other twin mom's who see my double stroller with the baby carriers and they will ask, how old are your babies and then they all typically say it will get better, just different and to hang in there. Which gives me hope. I see twins all the time now! They are everywhere! That also gives me hope because I look at the moms of these twins who are older, and the mom looks nice, hair done, clothes neat. They survived! Just makes me feel good to know I will one day return to myself again.

Anyway, here's my babies at one month old!



Sadie likes the swing, play mat, and rock n play. Definetely prefers snuggles and has surprisingly strong neck muscles. She will arch her back waaaay far back to stretch and it's the cutest thing. She's currently the chill twin, though she can have her moments. She makes the cutest sound when she has a sneeze that goes away and dislikes cold milk. Both babies are on the same eating and sleeping schedule for the most part, though some days it's a feeding frenzy and I can't keep up with it and lose track. She will eat about 3 oz at each feed. She weighs almost 7 pounds I'm going to guess since their last checkup



Cormac...though he is tiny, this kid has a lung volume and capacity that can rival a seasoned opera singer. There's no warm up, it's eyes open and he cries like he's being tortured. I like to tell him that he's being extra. He likes being swaddled and rocked. He also has really strong neck muscles. Unlike his sister, he doesn't mind cold milk but absolutely hates diaper changes. He will eat about 2.5 oz at each feed but wants to eat every hour during the day so he's usually the one who messes up the feeding schedule. He weighs about 6.5 pounds I'm going to guess since his last checkup.

3 comments

  1. OMG I didn't realize they'd arrived. MAZAL TOV! They're beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can imagine, it's been a whirlwind of a month, but at least they're cute, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall