Tuesday, August 16, 2016

9 months old - Well, that was fast!



9 months flew in faster than ever. I don't know if it was because I was late in writing up Lach's 8 month post so it feels like that wasn't all that long ago, or maybe just because we've been busy doing things this summer, but I feel like the last month really flew by. We had our first official family vacation, there was lots of growing of teeth, and lots of moving around. At one point, there's been at least 30 consecutive days in a row with temps in the 90s so I feel like I've been hiding out like a hermit in the AC because the heat makes me feel ill. And if we do go out, it's to places with air conditioning like the mall, the library or Target. So we are very excited for cooler temperatures so we can get back outside on walks and park visits. I'm looking forward to signing us up for a mommy and me music class in the fall once all the kids are back in school.

This month, Lachlan:
  1. Weighs 21.3 lbs 
  2. Is 30 inches tall 
  3. Is "leaning out" as the doctor put it, but I love my chubby baby (my arms and back don't love it, however)! 
  4. Had two more bottom teeth break through while on our vacation 
  5. Had two more top teeth break through 2 weeks later (this makes 8!) 
  6. Is doing lots more babbling - mamamama, gagagaga, dadadada, but not really knowing that mama and dada are words yet. 
  7. Will laugh at you or go "ehhh" to get your attention 
  8. Does this silly thing with his arms by repeatedly pulling them down really fast to hit into his diaper and cracks himself up 
  9. Is crawling! Be it backwards or sideways, he still has yet to figure out going forward. 
  10. Sat in the cart for the first time 
  11. Had lots of head bonks because of realizing he can move from sitting upright to his belly 
  12. Is still taking 2-3 naps a day 
  13. Sleeps on his stomach now and we were so scared at first 
  14. Doesn't like peaches in his Boon spoon (too tart I think) 
  15. Tried, and gagged on finger feeding himself banana. Scared the shit out of me 
  16. But likes bananas in his Boon spoon 
  17. Loves when I dump his entire toy box out in front of him. Keeps him entertained for a long time. 
  18. Has evolved into yelling loudly when he's hungry instead of crying 
  19. Frequently tests the loudness of his voice in all sorts of places (car, store, outside) 
  20. Touches his poopy butt during diaper changes now. Um, no! Aside from restraining his arms with my feet while sitting on the floor like a Cirque du Soleil act, what the hell am I supposed to do? He won't always stay occupied with a toy in his hands. 
  21. Will spin the ball on one of his toys over and over especially if you are holding it upright for him 
  22. Loves blueberry yogurt and acts like a crazy lunatic while eating it 


Lessons learned:
  1. My back can only handle carrying up to 20 pounds before it craps out on me. With him in the car seat that's 23 pounds. I'm pretty sure I tweaked my right SI joint. It's awful. 
  2. For every skill Lachlan gains, I either gain a skill (or fear) too. 
  3. Once they can crawl, diaper changes are a whole new ballgame. 

7 comments

  1. I snort-laughed at work when I read the poopy butt Cirque du Soleil act bit. I'm sorry, I know that must suck, but the visual was pretty hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those awful diaper changes too well! haha the worst! I used to sing like a crazy person sometimes and the kids would be so confused, they wouldn't move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha shock them into stillness, i like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww! those diaper change sessions...sorta like an MMA wrestling match :( At 18 months Emma kinda waits for me when I forget the diaper rash cream and I have to run and get it. She just has to hear me scream my lungs out "wait ok, wait" she loves answering back "ok"

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not wrong - diaper changes with a mobile child are more like wrestling matches where you hope you don't end up covered in poop. Success rate is probably 50/50!

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall