Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Summertime and the kids are screaming



So it's practically summer. Kids in the neighborhood are out of school. I can tell this by the screams and yells during Lachlan's normal nap times. They are all little girls and I think they communicate 98% of the time to each other via different pitched screams. I've got a fan and the humidifier both going in his room to act as a white noise machine which seems to be doing the trick. It works especially well on garbage day when the trucks are starting and stopping up and down our street. The noise still kicks on the noise-activated baby monitor so I just kind of squeeze my eyes shut and wait for a cry but he usually either doesn't wake or goes back to sleep.

I realized my limit when it comes to really missing my family is 6 months. If I don't see them for that long I get physically upset. The last time I saw them in person was in November when Lachlan was born. And just the other weekend I was sitting outside on the steps in the sun to thaw out because our house stays cool at night, and I saw an SUV drive down our road and pull up in front of another house. And that's all it took for me to start crying because I wish so bad that my family could drive down my street and pull up in front of our house and spend the day with us as easy as that. My parents want to retire soon and get an RV and spend the summers out here with us and spend the winters in a house near wherever my sister may end up. I really hope that happens because I don't like going so long in between visits, especially now with Lachlan getting bigger. It goes so fast and we have no family to help us if we want to get away for a few hours alone and I feel bad inconveniencing a friend. I need my village.

Which leads me to my next topic: babysitting. Lachlan is old enough where I now feel comfortable having a babysitter come to our house to watch him. And like I said before, I don't want to have to ask friends because they have their own kids and lives, so we are looking into finding a temporary babysitter/nanny through a babysitting service. There's all these terms like permanent full-time or part-time nannys, temporary nannys, overnight nannys, and nanny shares, that I never heard of before so this is all entirely new to me. And all of these places do background checks and drug tests on their nannys so that makes me feel a little better. But then my mind says, well, there's a first time for everything! But seriously, I'm actually really looking forward to finding someone to watch him because just being able to get away for 4 hours once a month would be so so amazing. To see a movie in the theater or to eat dinner without having to make a bottle of formula. I didn't realize how much I'd miss those things.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall