Monday, January 4, 2016

First post of the new year

Happy New Year!


We spent the holidays at home, pretty low key, and we didn't make it to midnight. There's no way I could stay awake, nor want to miss out on those guaranteed 3 hours of sleep before Lach wakes up at 1am to eat. Brian had a nice long break from work which was like an extended paternity leave, so I appreciated him being home. We made sure to get out and do things during this time even though it was freezing cold. We went out for dinner a bunch, went to the Denver Art Museum, visited Evergreen, saw Star Wars, looked at new bedroom furniture, and went on walks around the neighborhood.

Sometimes when we go out people comment on how cute Lachlan is, and when they find out how old he is, they'll say something to the effect of, "bless your heart!" in reference to me being up and around I think. It makes me wonder if maybe I shouldn't be going out with him so early, or maybe I'm pushing it with my own recovery, but at the same time, I don't want to be a recluse and stuck inside all day. I know I'm looking too far into it, and people are just being nice. I'm just doing what I feel is right. I mean, I was feeling better at 3 weeks postpartum, and now at 7 weeks I feel more than totally normal. Should I not be up and about so soon?

I'm still completely loving and reeling in the fact that I can eat and do the things I couldn't do while pregnant. Laying on my stomach is just the best. I totally took this for granted and am wondering when it won't seem like such a big deal anymore. But it just feels so damn good. I'm also enjoying eating steaks cooked medium, seared scallops, cold deli meat, and some alcohol, in moderation of course. New rules (I guess) say if you're safe to drive, your safe to breastfeed because it metabolizes out of your milk like it does with your blood.
I've been getting more into knitting and am really excited to learn and make new projects. I've been watching YouTube videos and stalking some awesome knitters on Instagram while Lachlan is sleeping so I can be ready to start my next project whenever I get the yarn I need. My mom bought me the Clover interchangeable knitting needles for Christmas and they are great! And I find since my free time throughout the day is limited now, that my priorities and interests have been filtered and for the better. Like, I don't wanna waste my 15 minutes of quiet time while Lachlan is napping by reading or making something that I'm not 100% committed to for example. Like it took 3 Lachlan naps for me to get this post together, but I really wanted to write it so I made it a priority instead of fucking around willy nilly on the internet.

Lachlan is much more aware of his surroundings and will smile at us when we make eye contact and talk. It's my personal goal to make him smile as much as possible because it's so damn cute. He also still has awful dry flaky skin, which he had since day one. But this dry Colorado air isn't helping (I mean, my own hands are dry as hell from washing them so much that they are cracked and painful). I think he's about 10 pounds! His 2 month appointment is next week and we'll know for sure. But he's already in 3 month sized clothes and we moved up a diaper size.

Anyway, I already listed my goals in my infographic post for the new year, but I'm hoping to basically keep 2016 simple, decluttered, and calm. I want to get better at cooking (or at the very least, crock pot cooking), get out of the house more even without a purpose, and get creative with my crochet and knitting projects. An ultimate goal would be to write my own crochet patterns and make some money back on all the yarn I buy. If I can just cover the cost of yarn to feed my habit I'll be happy.

I hope you all had a nice holiday!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall