Friday, January 15, 2016

2 months old: Talking about practice

Lachlan is 2 months old today! I'm still figuring things out, and will be for the rest of my life, but I find that being a parent, just like any other skill, is mostly about practice. For instance, diapering, feeding, burping, cleaning neck folds I didn't know even existed, learning baby's cries (I still can't tell the difference) all takes practice. And probably the one thing that I really didn't ever think of before having a baby would be the practice needed at simply getting out of the house. It really does take practice! For us, it needs to be scheduled around my pumping, so only after I pump can we leave to give us the greatest amount of time out. Then you have to get the diaper bag packed, the baby dressed warmly, yourself dressed appropriately (don't forget the nursing pads!), the stroller base put in the back of the car, and finally carry out that heavy ass car seat with your heavy ass kid. And hopefully one of us remembers to put the dogs in their crates or they will be eating snotty tissues and ear plugs when we get back (*AHEM, Monty*).

So after doing this a few times, a routine develops, making things run quicker and smoother, finding short cuts along the way. But most importantly, to me at least, is the practice of not getting so anxious about Lachlan crying while we are out...especially if it's in a place that's quiet or where people tend to give crying babies the stink eye. I just really don't like to draw attention to myself, I've always been like that. I want to fly under the radar unnoticed 100% of the time. So the thought of my sleeping baby waking suddenly screaming for food scares the crap out of me. It's gonna happen, and it has already. But the more I go out, the more confident I get, and this gives me practice on how to handle the situation. I'm already hoping that I'll fall into the mindset of "look at all the fucks I give!" one day so I can enjoy myself and be present, but right now I haven't gotten there yet. I still give fucks.
(Sorry for saying fucks in a post about my baby, Mom)

So! Having said that, here's some developments for little man:
  • He's 12 pounds and in the 80th percentile for height at 24 inches tall.
  • He smiles pretty much every time you make eye contact and talk to him. I love it!
  • He has a "resting serious face" where his eyebrows furrow when he first looks at you, but then like I said above, when you start talking to him the cutest smile emerges.
  • He likes to chew on his right hand. I don't know if this classifies as "finding his hand" but it's pretty cute to watch him try to shove the entire thing in his mouth. I also believe this means he will be right handed.
  • We are working on tummy time and can get to about 2 minutes before he's done.
  • He does this thing where I know he's hungry but he pushes the bottle nipple out and it takes about 5 or so attempts before he accepts it to eat.
  • Some nights, he grunts and spits and pushes the bottle away while eating, only he won't let go with his mouth so.....I guess he still wants it? This is probably the most frustrating thing for us at this stage because we don't know what he really wants.
  • He also kind of uses his fists to hold the bottle or push it away.
  • He has cradle cap and a white tongue. Both of which is doctor say is normal and nothing to worry about.
  • He has a mini witching hour from around 5:30pm till 7:30pm each night where he cries and nothing will sooth him...well maybe being in the Moby does, but he still fusses. Then he falls asleep. And all is well.
  • He wakes up once or twice a night still. When it's once, we feel amaze-balls the next day.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall