Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Crochet hook and accessory case - Free pattern





Hey guys! I'm excited to share with you one of my first crochet patterns. I made this hook case around the time I started crocheting and have been using it ever since. I thought it would make a fun and easy project. I'm not a pro at writing patterns so I tried to explain things as I went along. Let me know if you come across any problems.

Materials
Yarn
Hook smaller than you'd normally use for that yarn so small hooks won't fall through pouch
Embroidery floss or thread in same color as yarn
Button

Things to note:
-You can change the width of this pouch by making a longer base chain.
-You will be working from bottom to top of this pouch.
-When you begin crocheting, your pouch will naturally begin to start curling inward so the wrong side is facing you. I kept crocheting like this and then turned it right-side out when I was completely done. But you could flip it right side out sooner and continue on.

Pouch
Row 1: Chain 10
Row 2: SC in 2nd ch from hook, SC in each stitch until the end chain, SC again in end chain (10 st).
Row 3: Rotate your work so it is now upside down. Now SC in each stitch across (in the other loop of the base chain) until you reach the beginning (10 st).
Row 4-Row 18: SC in the round without joining until your pouch reaches the desired height of where the opening will be. Mine happened to be around row 18 but you can keep going or stop depending on the length of your hooks. Once you've reached the height you want for the opening, make sure you've stopped somewhere on the side of your pouch.

Count ahead 12 stitches and make sure those 12 stitches are centered to the front of the pouch. If not, then either add SC's or remove SC's on the side where you stopped so the 12 stitches for the opening will be centered.

Row 19: Ch 12, skip 12 st, rejoin with SC. (In order for the lid to flip back easily, the opening has to be wider than the stitched area).
Row 20-End: Continue SC in the round without joining until lid is of desired height.
Finishing: Slip stitch the tops of each of the opposing stitches together by going through both loops. FO and weave in ends.

Front Loop
Ch 10, join with a slip stitch in first chain.
Sew on in the center of the first row above the opening

Back loop
Ch 8
SC in 2nd chain from hook, SC in each stitch until end. Ch 1, turn.
SC in each st across. FO leaving a long tail.
Attach to center of the back with a whip stitch using the long tail. Knot and weave in ends.

Sew on button and add your hooks, scissors, needles and stitch markers!

20 comments

  1. Love! I have a plastic one but this is much more fun. Definitely going to try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great case! I like that there's a spot to hold your scissors as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I use it all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY, you're writing patterns now!! That is so fun. I like how this pattern is so practical too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, I can't wait to make this, I have been looking for a small case to make for when we go on car trips, this will do just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. […] Second project: I crocheted a pencil case in preparation for the semester’s beginning tomorrow. I was able to complete this during one movie (don’t ask me about minor plot details though) and it was a solid pattern. Link here. […]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry, I'm confused starting from row 3 on..sc in each stitch in the other loop of the chain. I honestly don't know what that means. SC in the round without joining. What does that mean?...so confused..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps look up a video on youtube to help. You're just doing the stitches along the other side of the base chain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is really ingenious! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so lost after row 2. Can you explain what i'm supposed to do in row 3 and 4.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this yesterday and LOVE it! Thank you so much for the pattern...I'm going to make this for all my family and friends that crochet too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been threatening to make a bigger pouch and now no excuse not too! I am tired of being attacked by my hooks every time I open the case I have now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am lost after row 18...please help. I'm not understanding when you say count 12 stitches, chain 12, skip 12, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I realize this is an old post, but I'm hoping you can help me. I love this case! I started making it, but I'm confused after row 18 and how to make the flap. I don't understand the skip 12, chain 12. Also, you say make sure you stopped somewhere on the side, but when you count ahead 12 stitches, make sure it's on the front center. If there are 20 stitches in the round, if we end on the side, 12 stitches ahead will be on the side too, right? Maybe I'm missing something. I would really appreciate it if you can reply! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. To make the opening you have to chain 12, then skip 12 stitches from the previous round and rejoin on the 13th stitch so you form the opening. And you can start chaining when you are on the side of the case since you want the opening to be on the front. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  16. To make the opening you have to chain 12, then skip 12 stitches from the previous round and rejoin on the 13th stitch so you form the opening.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Could you please provide the link for the video tutorial, because I can't seem to find it... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too can not follow after row 18. What if you made it wider than 10 chain ? Confused!

    ReplyDelete

© Habitual Homebody
Maira Gall